We heavily depend upon our residential boiler during the winter season for warmth. However, what should you do when this trusty equipment begins showing signs of trouble? When do you opt for a boiler repair or replacement? In this article, we discuss the best ways to approach this decision.
Problems You May Encounter With Your Residential Boiler
- 1 Problems You May Encounter With Your Residential Boiler
- 2 When Is The Ideal Time For A Boiler Replacement?
- 3 Benefits Of A Boiler Replacement
- 4 Aspects Homeowners Ought To Consider When Purchasing A New Boiler
- 5 What Are The Differences Between Standard-Efficiency And High-Efficiency Boilers?
The Boiler Turns Itself Off
If your boiler turns off by itself, it can be an indicator of several problems. Some of these include a problematic thermostat, a faulty pump, low air pressure, low water pressure, or a condensate pipe that is frozen.
The Pilot Lights Goes Out
Damaged boiler-seals or a faulty thermocouple could be reasons for the pilot lights switching off frequently. You should not attempt fixing the hitch. Instead, you ought to call certified HVAC Company professionals right away.
A boiler will leak if it has a loose connection or some damaged components. For safety, you should call the HVAC contractor to repair it.
Low Boiler Pressure
Boilers operating as a pressurized system may begin falling when there is an issue with the expansion vessel or if there is a water leak. It is always safer to call the HVAC company to fix the problem rather than falling for the temptation of fixing the issue using the manufacturer’s instruction manual.
When Is The Ideal Time For A Boiler Replacement?
The following are points highlighting when to repair and when to replace your boiler.
Your Boiler Is Old
An old boiler has to work even harder to sustainably-heat your home. The average lifespan of your boiler should be fifteen years. When this period has been attained or slightly exceeded, you will begin detecting signs of wear-and-tear.
Reduced Boiler Efficiency
When you neglect an old and damaged boiler, its performance will be less efficient. This means its work will have to be twice as hard to deliver heat to your house. In the end, the cost of energy will be higher for you than it would be if you purchase a new boiler.
Cold/Hot Spots Throughout The Home
Trapped air or the build-up of sludge in the radiator can be a cause for hot and cold spots throughout your home. The unequal distribution of heat leads to discomfort.
Unusual Boiler Noises
Your boiler should not make noises such as banging, gurgling, or whistling. If your residential boiler is noisy, unusually, you must contact a reliable boiler service to diagnose it correctly.
Frequent Heating Repairs
You should replace the old boiler if you ever find out that the cost of repair is half or more than the price of getting a new one installed. Furthermore, you also need to plan for a new boiler if the repairs you carry out in a year add up to two or more. You need to prudently-invest your hard-earned money on more modern and better units than dumping it on a boiler, which is ultimately on its last leg.
Benefits Of A Boiler Replacement
You ought to look at the benefits you get from upgrading to a new boiler if you are ever contemplating between a boiler replacement and a boiler repair.
- Increased Comfort: The new boiler will be quite effective in providing your home with a lot of comfort and warmth when needed. Even in the coldest periods of winter, you will rest assured that it will sustain you.
- Lowered Energy Costs: A new unit will consume less energy compared to an older one. Therefore, the new boiler will optimize fuel usage, making it cheaper to keep the home warm.
- Low Operational Costs: The components of a new boiler are fresh, and their functionality will be perfect for many years. Repairs and frequent boiler-checkups will be reduced, and you will save a lot.
- Warranty: New boilers are accompanied by manufacturer warranties that cover repairs and replacement parts. You can be confident you will be served excellently whenever there is a need.
Aspects Homeowners Ought To Consider When Purchasing A New Boiler
- Boiler Size: An oversized boiler will be more fuel-consuming. On the other hand, an undersized boiler will fail to work as expected. An HVAC contractor will be able to determine an ideal size using a Manual J load calculation. They consider factors such as your home insulation value, air filtration, the wall thickness, foundation, the orientation of your house, among many others.
- Energy Efficiency: Boiler installation companies will always recommend high-efficiency systems. Even though their initial cost is a little higher, they consume less fuel, reducing your home heating costs. Also, their performance is quite exceptional.
- Gas Or Oil Boiler: You ought to look for a boiler using the same kind of fuel that your home uses, which can be either natural gas, propane, or oil.
- The Boiler Manufacturer: Particular boiler brands have built their reputation based on the reliability of the boilers that they produce. You may even realize that they offer much better services in your locality.
- The Warranty Given: Manufacturers usually give a warranty of 10 or more years. Also, they will cover replacement parts to a certain degree over this period.
What Are The Differences Between Standard-Efficiency And High-Efficiency Boilers?
Boiler efficiency, or AFUE, is the total amount of heat a unit produces as compared to the amount of fuel it uses to produce this heat. High-efficiency boilers will cool gases for the steam produced to condense and turn back into liquid form. This results in more retention and production of heat.
A standard-efficiency type of boiler will lose 20% of the heat it produces, meaning more energy is necessary by the unit for it to effectively-warm your house.
Highly-efficient boiler options can cost a little more initially. However, it is worth the investment, as they eventually pay up for the initial cost via reduced energy costs.
Reach Out To Tower Energy For All Of Your HVAC Requirements
Selecting a suitable type of boiler which is efficient will ensure you acquire your desired-comfort and as well save a lot on energy costs. It is vital that you weigh out all of your options to choose wisely concerning this vital equipment for your home.
Tower Energy is the topnotch provider of both heating and cooling services in this region. Our NATE certified experts will ensure they solve all your comfort problems in a fast, knowledgeable, and friendly way. You can rely on us for the most competitive rates in the area. We also guarantee all of the work that we do for you to ensure your satisfaction. Call Tower Energy today and arrange for a free, in-home estimate.