All homeowners need some furnace repair tips handy to use when needed. For example, homeowners should have the furnace checked and repaired before the cold season begins. The end of summer or early fall is ideal. That way, you will be ready for the first cold snap. Consequently, this is when most furnace failures occur.
During the warm summer months, most people don’t give their heating systems a second thought. Nevertheless, it is better to be prepared than to risk your family’s comfort and safety during the cold months of winter.
Routine, basic checkups help identify potential problems before they come to fruition. Waiting for trouble to strike is not in your best interest. If your furnace worked extra hard during the previous cold season, or if it is an older system, it is even more important to have it checked.
In this article, we will address common signals that your furnace may be in need of repair. We will also be discussing some troubleshooting tips you should be aware of if you think your furnace is not operating properly. Finally, we will share some tips that can help you during a search for a local furnace repair company.
Table of Contents:
- Signals That Your Furnace Needs Repair
- Troubleshooting Your Furnace
- Common Furnace Repairs That Homeowners Encounter
- When To Decide Between Furnace Repair And A Furnace Replacement
- Top Tips To Help Select A Furnace Repair Service Company
- Give Tower Energy A Call For Furnace Repair
Signals That Your Furnace Needs Repair
The age of your furnace is certainly a factor in determining whether or not it should be checked and repaired as required, but that is not the only reason.
Neglect or damage are also contributing factors that must be considered, even on newer systems.
Here are some signs you should keep in mind when determining if a furnace needs repair.
If your home is too cold or too hot, even when the thermostat is set at the desired temperature, something is wrong with your furnace. A loose belt, damaged fan motor, clogged filter, worn components, and many other problems can lead to improper functioning.
High Energy Bills
If your furnace is functioning properly, it should reflect on your energy bills. A malfunctioning furnace consumes more energy.
If you cannot explain a spike in use, then it may be the right time to arrange for a licensed HVAC company to send a technician to inspect the unit.
Clogged filters, wear and tear, or damage are the typical causes of uneven cooling or heating. Efficiently operating HVAC systems should have the capability of heating or cooling an area evenly. If some areas in your home are colder or warmer than others, its time to have the system checked.
If you notice the odor of fuel or gas anywhere near your heating unit, turn it off and get in touch with a local HVAC company immediately.
Even a small spark can cause a fire, putting your home and family at risk. Therefore, never allow your furnace to continue operating if you suspect fuel leakage.
Troubleshooting Your Furnace
Not all problems with heating systems require a professional HVAC technician’s attention. Honestly, there are several basic fixes and preventive measures that any homeowner can perform to keep their heating system in top running condition. The following are some of the steps you can take to troubleshoot yours.
- Furnace Filter Checkup: When furnace filters get clogged, indoor air quality is negatively affected because of inadequate airflow. Severely clogged air filters increase the risk of breakdowns and fire. Check the HVAC filter each month and clean or replace it as needed to avoid problems.
- Thermostat Check: Check the thermostat for dirt and dust and replace the batteries periodically. Any debris found inside can be removed with a soft, dry brush or cloth.
- Power Check: Every now and then, take a look at the electrical panel and switch. This is particularly helpful if the system isn’t working. The breaker or switch may be in the off position. Look for damaged, discolored, or melted fuses within the fuse box and replace these with fresh ones.
- Check Pilot Light: Check the furnace flame and pilot light to ensure they are burning properly. If the pilot light is off, read your owner’s manual and follow the directions there. Before relighting it, check for the odor of gas, which could signal a leak. If a leak is detected, turn the system off and immediately call a local HVAC service company.
- Vent Check: Visually inspect all registers and vents in your home to ensure they are open. If these are obstructed or closed, the furnace cannot heat the room properly. Move objects that are restricting airflow around the vents to remedy this.
Common Furnace Repairs That Homeowners Encounter
If your furnace fails to function properly, here are some of the possible problems that could be the cause.
- Replace Loose or Damaged Blower Belt: A high-pitched noise coming from your furnace may signal that a blower belt is damaged. Your local HVAC company can send a trained technician to replace the belt and have your furnace back up and running quickly.
- Replace Worn Ball Bearings: Worn out ball bearings make a scraping sound when the furnace is turned on. This is a good sign that they need replacing. Again, call your local HVAC contractor for immediate replacement.
- Frequent Cycling: If you notice that your furnace cycles on and off too frequently, the problem could be with the filter or thermostat. Check both of these for any possible issues. Also, the airflow could be blocked with obstructions. If you cannot fix this by following these troubleshooting tips, call a professional.
- Flickering or Yellow Pilot Flame: The flame of a pilot light should burn blue with a little yellow at the tip. If the color is predominantly yellow or the flame flickers, there could be high levels of carbon monoxide. Immediately call an HVAC professional for repairs.
- Heat Exchanger Damage: The heat exchanger may be damaged or cracked if you notice the smell of gas in the house or around the furnace. The presence of corrosion, cracks, and soot are also signs to watch for. This situation can be dangerous, so get it fixed as soon as possible.
When To Decide Between Furnace Repair And A Furnace Replacement
Some furnace problems can be remedied with effective repairs. However, other times the only fix for a broken furnace is a complete replacement. Here’s what to look for when replacement is the best option.
- Age: Your furnace has been in regular use for 18 years or longer.
- Energy Usage: If you’ve noticed a significant increase in energy bills, even though your unit has been well maintained, consider replacing it.
- Less Than Desirable Performance: Your furnace is no longer performing as well as expected. Hot or cold spots can be felt throughout your home. Also, indoor air quality is suffering.
- Frequent Repairs: If the cost for repairing your old furnace is 50% of the cost for replacing it, replacement is the better choice. Also, if you have to repair it a few times a year, then it is time to shop for its replacement.
Top Tips To Help Select A Furnace Repair Service Company
When you find a great HVAC repair company, it feels like winning a big prize. Any time you find a company you can trust to fix things when they go wrong, peace of mind is your reward. Things can go back to normal without concerns about more damage in the future. A trustworthy furnace repair service will reduce the time you spend in an uncomfortable home after a breakdown.
The problem is that it isn’t as easy as it sounds to find a reputable HVAC repair company.
At some point, the majority of people experience what it’s like to have bad service. An HVAC technician may be late for the appointment, or never show up at all. Even worse, they do show up but cause more damage without actually fixing the problem.
Here are a few tips to help you locate a repair company you can trust. By reading below, you will find some pointers to help you find that one of a kind, reputable HVAC service company.
Always Look For A Specialist Heating Company
As you are searching for someone qualified to repair your furnace, be sure that you are looking at the company, not just a furnace repair person. It’s also a good idea to look at companies specializing in heating systems. You will benefit in several ways.
To begin with, the company you go with will have the knowledge and experience needed to work on your furnace. They will also have experience with various models and brands. That means they will know what to expect when inspecting your appliance.
By working with a company instead of just one individual, there will be multiple techs at your service. The benefit here is that when one tech cannot solve the problem, there is another one available who can. It may cost more to hire a reliable company, but it will be well worth the price when you get peace of mind. Additionally, if the repair goes wrong, you won’t be caught having to pay a second time.
HVAC Company: Check The Website And Reviews
You cannot always trust first impressions. Nevertheless, first impressions are a good place to start. One way to determine if you’ve found the best furnace repair company is the check the company website. You’ll get a general view of what they are about.
If it looks professional with lots of production value, the company looks good. What you don’t want to see is an outdated website with little information. It’s like they’re waving a red flag.
Also, check the reviews to see what customers are saying about them. Do they have a quick response time? Do they seem professional? Are they knowledgeable and friendly? Customer reviews are a great source for answers to these questions. Some reviews will be on the company’s website, but be aware that since the company runs its website, they have full control of what is there.
Real reviews, good and bad, are best found on independent sites. The companies you are investigating have no control over what is said on these sites, so you will find authentic reviews from real customers.
Get In Touch With Heating Repair Company
After finding what seems like a reputable furnace repair company, pick up the phone and give them a call.
By speaking with a live person, you’ll have the opportunity to get a better feel for the values and principals. You can feel confident if the person you speak with sounds knowledgeable and eager to help. If they sound as if they have no real interest in talking with you, then go with your instincts. Hang up and find another company. If you felt valued by the person on the phone, give the company a chance to prove you right.
Give Tower Energy A Call For Furnace Repair
It’s important to hire skilled and highly-qualified technicians to repair your heating unit. This is not a DIY project, so don’t try doing it yourself. A trained technician will understand what is required by your heating system. Finding the right HVAC company ensures quality work.
Tower Energy has a team of NATE certified technicians that can assist you eith your heating and cooling requirements. We specialize in HVAC repairs, tune-ups, replacements, and installations. All of our technicians have the knowledge and experience to service your system correctly. Furthermore, we guarantee our work and offer the most competitive furnace repair rates in this area. Call Tower Energy now to schedule an appointment for a free, in-home estimate.